Hunger article

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5B72DS20091208.




An increase of 26% assistance with hunger over the past year. There has been a layout on a lot of the larger cities and estimating people of all classes have comprised of hunger and possibly being homeless. It is a continuing issue considering the allocation of budgets with some of the states.

Reporting by Karen Pierog
DEC 8, 2009

A detailed look on a society as a whole and the affects of being homeless and hungry.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ch 4


As I have stated before there are many ways to look at the welfare system. I think to some people being on the welfare system its the welfare's fault and some disagree. For many people that I know, they abuse the system and some how work but don't share it with the government and almost get double the money that they are used to. I agree that the welfare system has created a monster so to speak because "its the new thing to do". I say it in that manner because people know that they can take advantage of the system. There is a woman I know that has two kids works part-time,goes to school part time, gets child support and only sees her kids 4 days a week, while driving a Lexus but also getting $500 for food a month. She tells me, "why not take advantage of the system? I have two kids and I get a lot of money for food that I do not even use up. Its great." I feel as though too many people I know take advantage and I'm jealous that I have to work so hard to make ends meet and I feel having a kid is what makes it easier to get accepted. I do not think the system should be that easy.

I do not agree that the system does not have strict stipulations. What I mean by that is, if there was someone keeping a close eye on the people using it, I am sure half the people would be off of it. I mentioned this in the previous chapters but want to reiterate that just like probation and parole officers have a clientele, they moniter them to see how they are doing. If we had several strict welfare officers that checked on the welfare recipients, people would think its too much of a hassle.

Where I volunteered, people lived there for about a year, and then they were set free into the real world. But they had a lot of help to get resumes going, to take classes for them to be well rounded and other skills to help them succeed. I think if it was mandatory to do everything I just mentioned people would think its easier to not be on it than have to worry about completing the requirements. I strongly agree that the welfare system breeds depence on the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment