Hunger article

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5B72DS20091208.




An increase of 26% assistance with hunger over the past year. There has been a layout on a lot of the larger cities and estimating people of all classes have comprised of hunger and possibly being homeless. It is a continuing issue considering the allocation of budgets with some of the states.

Reporting by Karen Pierog
DEC 8, 2009

A detailed look on a society as a whole and the affects of being homeless and hungry.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Action Project Group 1


We are in group one and Miguel, Marnie, Clarence and I all went to Grace House on Friday, March 19th. It was nice to have all of us being able to go and help there all together. Even though we were not with each other most of the time, it was nice to see familiar faces. I started off before I got there going to the store to pick up water for the employees as well as plastic goods for them to use. And even the day before I passed out fliers to people that lived close by Grace house to see if they would be interested in donating but also getting a meal. I got there early morning and was put right to work. I was ready to do anything and everything. It was their first fund raiser that day for the children of Haiti and what they wanted to do was make lunches and dinner for people that have purchased beforehand and that money would go to Haitian children. I started off meeting the people I was going to be working with and then started to cut about 20 pound cakes into 13 pieces and wrap them in wax paper so that they could be with the meals. Once I was done with that, I helped put everything on the table from spaghetti, chicken, fish, coleslaw, bread, silverware, salad to potato salad. We had an assembly line to get everything put together quickly to get sent out. Unfortunately it was really unorganized and took longer than anticipated. Once I started to assemble many meals, they needed me to deliver food since Marnie, Clarence and myself were the only people really who had a car. I went with a resident to three different places that took quite a long time. We had about 20 orders in my car and even though it was only three places, the buildings were huge and one place was way downtown. Once I got back, we had to clean up this huge mess, and reset up for dinner and by then I had to leave. Time flew by so fast I could not believe it. I had a great time, met a lot of people and heard their stories while working and helping them.

No comments:

Post a Comment